Monday, November 13, 2006

Army Leave, Part III

I drop my bag onto my feet on the doormat; I open it and begin to search for my keys that were at the very bottom under pounds of dirty socks.

The dogs beat me and I went to turn on the hall lights . . . no electricity.

Ohhhhh crap. Oh crap.

At that moment I heard that moron Marc say:

- Eh, you should be polite to your guests. It's always dark. I tell him:
- What the heck are you talking about?
- Oh, you are the uncurable second-class lieutenant. Too many swear words. We're not the barracks of Hickville here, so you will watch your language or else I won't put the lights back on.
And he turned the lights back on.

No one was missing. All my buddies and family were in the family room with glasses in their hands in the middle of singing "Happy Birthday" under the streamers.

My mom said to me:

- Put down your bag, my big boy.

And she brought me a glass.

It was the first time that they had done something like that for me. I must not look handsome with a gawking face.

I shook hands with everyone and hugged my grandmother and aunts.

When I got to Marc, I went to punch him but he was with a girl. He was holding her by the waist. As for me, at first sight, I already knew that I was in love with her.

I smacked him on the shoulder and pointing with my chin, I asked my brother:
- Is that my present?
- Dream on, moron, he said.

I looked at her again. It was like something was doing a somersault in my stomach. I was sick and she was beautiful.
- You don't recognize her?
- No.
- But it's Marie, Rebecca's friend.
- ???
-

She said to me:
- We were roommates. At Glenans, don't you remember?
- No, sorry. I shook my head and started to think of a plan. I got myself something to drink.

You ask if I remember. Sailing training, I still have nightmares. My little brother always first, the little pet of the teachers, tanned, muscular, always at ease. He read the manuals at night and he understood everything once on board. My brother who set out on trapeze and whooshed yelling into the waves. My unsinkable brother.